Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sometimes you just have to laugh it off

We went to the wrong airport. When we got to Oakland the airline was closed for the night. A long conversation on the white courtesy phone and a frantic search left us with only ten minutes to book and board the last flight to LAX. Let´s just say we are now in Guatemala with a 149 dollar dent in the already depleting funds. I haven´t slept more than 5 hours in the last 2 days, and yet it doesn´t matter much anymore. Guatemala is absolutely amazing, and I can´t shake the emotional high from the work and experience ahead. The streets bring me back to India, the kids are adorable, and the volunteers absolutely wonderful. Every second I find myself in a conversation exploding with ideas for future projects and plans. I´m considering getting an MPA. Of course that wouldn´t come for another 3 years or so, but it definitely fits into the ten year plan. I love NGO work. Today we ate at the ¨garage cafe¨, and it reminded me how much better food is in a foreign country.

There is one setback that was not as prevalent in India. I need to learn the language or run the risk of not being as affective, and with the latter option quite unacceptable, I embark to learn a foreign language.

Familia! I can see Patzitia from our roof, and most of the indegenous people we work with only speak quatchequel (forgive the spelling errors). The weather is perfect, and this weekend we will ride to Copan to see the ruins. I´m feeling quite overwhelmed from everything I don´t know, but I find that it is much like the way I felt in India. The street we live on is quite safe, and so you can rest knowing I already went running and nothing happened.

No comments: